League reports

KOPA League

Sunday 29th January 2017

Division one

Arachne 2 Olympia 1

Arachne started the game well and took the lead in the 20th minute from a corner which was headed in by Chris Constantinides. In the second half Olympia came out at Arachne and put the pressure on and eventually got the equaliser in the 60th minute with Raphael Kaphouris. In the 75th minute Olympia were awarded a penalty which was saved by Arachne stand in keeper Chris Theodosiou. Olympia continued to attack but Arachne's resilient defence and man of the match keeper managed to keep them out. In the last 5 minutes Arachne saw an opportunity for all 3 points and a quick break away saw Ant Panayi break in behind the Olympia defence and cooly slot the ball into the bottom Corner, giving Arachne all 3 points.

Anorthosis 0 New Salamis 7

The Famagusta derby did.not produce the game that we expected, we were hoping for a more closer match.

New Salamis got off to a good start with Kiri Portou from the edge of the box banging the ball into the back of the net to put the reds in front.

But Anorthosis were still in the game and they got a couple of chances to score, one was a scramble on the goal line New Salamis added a second goal again with Kiri, then after the break the reds scored three goals in succession to make it 5 -0 with their goals coming from Deniz Mehmet 2 and Steve Velandia. And killing the game.

Dean Fenton scored two goals the late stages of the game to give New Salamis a comfortable 7-0 win.

Second Division Cup

First round

Asha 1 Achna 5

The shock of the day Achna beating Asha who are really pushing for promotion.

A very disappointing day for Asha Fc. They went into the game as favourites but the underdogs wanted it more.

Achna came away worthy 5-1 winners.

The game started well with both teams playing some really good football and it wasn't until late on in the first half Achna got their chance to score in the 40th minute with Alex Chrysanthou.

In the second half again both teams came out strong and in the 60th minute Achna scored again to make it 2-0 with Lenios Christodoulou.

Luke Lane pulled one back 5 minutes later from a perfect freekick just outside the square to make it 2-1 to Achna.

On 70 minutes Achna broke away on the right yet again and went on to score and make it 3- with Chris Petrou . Shortly later, again, they increased their scoreline to 4-1 with a goal from Theokli Charalambous.

Five minutes before the end with Asha's heads already dropped they allowed them to score the final goal with Chris Petrou for the game to finish 5-1 to the visitors.

LFA Challenge Cup

3rd round

FC Culvers 1 Omonia 4

Omonia travelled to Sutton and faced Culvers FC in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup knowing that a win would set up a mouthwatering tie against New Salamis in the Quarter Finals.

The game very nearly never got played, as the allocated pitch was still frozen and all the changing rooms were locked. An alternative pitch was found and although Omonia had every right to request a postponement they insisted the match should go ahead even though they only had a bare eleven which included veteran Tony Ponnou.

On a difficult pitch the Greens dominated the first half. Their fast flowing football was not deterred by the heavy pitch and on 15 minutes, after good interplay between Ioannis and Ramone, the latter expertly placed the ball into the goal from just outside the area. Omonia continued to dominate and created plenty of opportunities to increase their lead however none were taken and the half ended 1-0 to the Greens.

In the first 30 seconds of the second half Ioannis made it 2-0 with a good finish following some excellent play from Tony and Ramone.

For the next 10-15 minutes Culvers put the Greens under a lot of pressure with the ball constantly being launched into their box from general play and moreso from long throws. These however were dealt with expertly by Omonia’s Green Giant Aaron. On 60 minutes another long Culvers throw appeared to go straight in, however the referee said he saw a touch and the goal was given.

Omonia’s reply was immediate and the excellent Ramone won a penalty which Nectarios put away to make it 3-1. Ten minutes later Ramone got his second of the game killing any chance of a Culvers comeback.

The Green’s saw the game out and ended up 4-1 victors. A good performance all-round.

LFA Sunday Trophy

Quarter Final

Livadia 2 Continental 2

Livadia won on penalties 5-4

This quarter final game in LFA Sunday trophy was always going to be a tight game. Continental were sitting top of the Barnet League and Livadia sitting Second in the Kopa league. However the visiting team Continental started the brightest and has the first chance but the livadia keeper George Georgiou kept them in the game.He made a number of saves and showed his experience throughout the game.

Livadia had chances of their own but were not playing at their usual high tempo.

Again it was the visitors who made the most of some confusion in the box and scored their first goal after 20 minutes.

The visitors again threatened Livadia with some tricky play down the wings.

Some good play resulted in Continental FC scoring a second goal after 40 minutes. The score stayed 2-0 at half time.

The Livadia manager Tolga Mustafa and his assistant Nick Koutsoudis obviously had some strong words for their team at half time. It seemed to do the trick as Livadia came out firing. They created some great chances early on and it led to some great play for Andreas Kyprianou to score his first goal of the day. Livadia were back in the game and created so many chances for an equaliser. Substitutes were made by the Livadia management and it seemed to galvanise the already improved Livadia team.

In the 85th minute some lovely football on the edge of the visitors box resulted in Kyprianou getting his second goal of the game. Livadia's effort in the second half deserved some reward and almost won the game with a header from Kyprianou which hit the bar.

The game finished 2-2 and went straight to penalties. Some tense moments but George Georgiou became the hero saving one of the penalties and Dan Pugh to score the winning penalty as Livadia won 5-4 on penalties.

On balance Livadia deserved their victory as they didn't give up and fought for a result to the very end.

Semi final will be played on 26th February.


Login to post comments